Friday, September 16, 2016

August 1, 2016 ~~~ 1st week in Georgia

So this week the mission president just made the new rule that we can
only email for an hour. It used to be all day. So now my emails have
to be short since usually I use two hours...

Monday: Today our district had a little farewell with sparkling cider
and food in the courtyard. It was so sad saying goodbye. I'm gonna
miss them, we are a very close district. We claim we are gonna get
together one day and I hope we do (though it honestly probably won't
happen). I have 3 hours of sleep before I get up again. I'm stoked,
nervous, and don't know what to expect.

Tuesday : I was able to call today and it was so awesome to be able to
hear mom and kayli. I feel quite honored that they stayed up since 2
am just to hear me for ten minutes. On the flight of course they would
have TV, games and wifi. I can't use any of them and it was just a
tease. We flew over one of the biggest holes in the world that my
uncle Eric had pointed out to me a few days before. I got off the
plane and the humidity hit me like a wet rag slap to the face. At
night the heat index was 95 degrees! There are tons of huge trees and
everyone sucks at driving. And I'm not kidding. On the 30 minute drive
from the airport I saw like 6 wrecks, people in the wrong lanes,
plenty of towed cars, and everyone going up on curbs (not over
dramatizing). I have had one meal and 3 1/2 hours of sleep in 48
hours.

Wednesday: First day in the field with my trainer, elder May. I like
him, I've heard great things. He said we've conversed more in the
drive home than he and his last companion ever did. So yay. Remember I
said people are bad at driving? They still are. 2 separate sisters got
hit by the other sister while backing them out. How does that even
happen? Another set of sisters ran out of gas so they prayed to turn
their water into gas. They don't have a working engine anymore. On a
brighter note, someone let me have a loaner bike that the last
missionary left here for donation. I was scared because I didn't know
how I was going to afford one and I'm in a bike area for the next 18
weeks. But the lord provides. Today I only ate a half a bowl of mac n
cheese so that's two days two meals. BUT I also had chips and salsa
and yorks that I got in a box from my family and Kayli. I really
appreciated that, it came in my first day and it was super great.
Additionally, I was stoked because everyone gained 10+ lbs in the MTC
so when I got back I measured myself. GUESS HOW MUCH I GAINED?? I lost
5 pounds. But the scale is probably 15 lbs off so I'm not worried.

Thursday: Finally days are getting shorter. We biked a lot today, got
nice and sweaty. We got back for lunch and and literally within 30
seconds of getting inside I turned around and it was dumping. Tender
mercies. No lessons today. Many were visited, few were taught.

Friday: Today we did service and planning all day long. A brand new
rule requires that we wear pants and long sleeves every time we serve
so it was HOT and it also rained. Nothing too eventful. We served a
less active today named NiƱo and gave a spiritual thought. It seems
like whenever I open my mouth during a spiritual thought for more than
a couple seconds I feel the spirit. I then always later am told about
them later on and find out that what I said applies to them very well.
So that's neat. It's like that open your mouth and I will fill it with
words scripture.

Saturday: My eyelids have been consistently twitching everyday since
the first few days at the MTC from them being so tired. It has been
twitching for hours non stop I'm not even kidding. I'm going insane!!
But miracle time. I prayed for it to stop because it would be
embarrassing while tracking and teaching. And it did. Today was so hot
and sticky that we had to come home and shower and change. And we also
had about 4 or 5 people cancel their plans with us, persecution!
Exciting. Apparently also T Payne lives in the town I'm serving in.
Random. It's not a rich or eccentric town.

Sunday:
So church here is different. They aren't as official as we are, like
the guys passing sacra,met had undone ties, chewing gum, crazy hair
and totally unmatched suit jackets. So people just slung their ties
over their shoulder. Weird. Each ward here also has two sets of
missionaries which is weird and I don't like it because I have to
share. There's something called the Haitian nation. That's because
there's so many Haitians and most of them don't speak English. You
wouldn't believe the racial diversity, it's not just black people,
like there's Asians and Hindus everywhere! I feel like white is the
minority. There's at least less than 40% white people. Also,
surprisingly Californians seem nicer, but maybe it's just because I'm
used to them. Nonetheless they aren't nearly as awesome as murrieta
ward. They also don't have religious classes designed to make people
hate Mormons. BUT here's something cool. Today I had my first home
made food in over a month. Then we did something called power hour.
This is where we'd pray with the member and tell them to keep a prayer
in their heart while we go tracting. We prayed to find one person.
Then we went out and almost right away found a guy who seems solid and
wants us to come back. Then we saw the guy out walking who was helping
us in "power hour" and told hi, we already found someone, so he went
back to his apartment and they prayed again that we'd find two more
people. And we got two more people with return dates. Crazy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment