Friday, September 16, 2016

August 8, 2016

This week overall was better than last week. We had more member
interactions, food, and I felt much more welcome. I am starting to get
the hang of things and it's pretty awesome.

Monday:
P day. We had a few appointments and they all fell through so that's
annoying, it's like the sixth day in a row that's happened. Other than
that not much happened today...BUT! I got an email from someone in my
MTC district asking if I knew a Jance and Lily Solis! Whuuuut??? Ya I
know them! He's in Alabama and said "hey there's some new members in
the ward who said they knew you." Mind. Blown. We also got fed by
members, I love when we're fed by members. It's the main thing that
makes feel like anyone within 2,000 miles loves me (except for the
Solises who live like 200 miles away).

Tuesday:
We had a lot of cancelled appointments today with people who seemed
promising. Some just rescheduled but most just ignored our calls and
the door all together. But since they all fell through we went
knocking and found someone that my companion Elder May and his last
companion gave a card to. He checked out the website and we taught him
the restoration and gave hike a book  of Mormon. He seemed quite
interested, so we'll see... Also, people are still bad at driving and
it is mind blowing how many people don't have it all together in the
head (it's politically unacceptable to say crazy). It's also
interesting because we meet lots of apostles. They are always a bit
loony. There's even a prophet here, he became one in prison because he
predicted 9/11. So wow.

Wednesday:
Honestly not much happened today. Just meetings and more
cancellations. But I did realize something today. People are so
ignorant. They have the audacity to tell me the Book of Mormon is
wrong without reading it, bash me with arguments so poorly constructed
that there's no answer for it, and the one that gets me most...telling
me that in the bible people who preach of Christ are persecuted and we
aren't persecuted. So my companion says, "yes we are persecuted every
single day." So she says "No you aren't, you aren't persecuted, you
don't even know what that means. People are persecuted when bad things
happen to them and they did nothing wrong. Nothing bad happens to
you." She is yelling ME that IM not getting persecuted. And I'm just
getting started. But that's when we just said I'm sorry you feel that
way and aren't willing to read and know for yourself and said thank
you for letting us in and left. But there's nothing you can do but
laugh because you know it's true and they always ask for evidence (and
there's plenty of it) but it will never be of value. Like one of the
prophets said (Brigham young maybe) said (and this is paraphrased),
"If you compiled all the facts and evidence in the world in such an
eloquent manner it would have gone up like smoke and then vanished.
But when a young boy who wasn't well at speaking bore witness of the
things he was saying is true, that's when I became converted." And
honestly it's times like that when you realize that what you're saying
is true and there's no way to know it for yourself than to read it.

Thursday:
I think I'm starting to get glimpses of momentum starting to pick up
and the realization that this is my life now. But it's good. It means
less worries and anxiety. Today we got a lot of cancellations but we
got a lot of lessons too. There's a lot of anti Mormon practices here
so we will have a really solid investigator who will just completely
ignore us, people, go out of their way to tell false doctrine and keep
people away from us. People have been literally afraid to talk to us
because of what they've heard about Mormons.

Friday:
Today someone referred themselves online and requested missionaries to
come teach him. We'll see how that goes. We were on bikes a lot today
and it was hot and muggy. So someone pulled over and gave us water. It
was the highlight of my day. That's the nice south people I heard
about. He's a Mormon from a different ward.

Saturday:
Yay I made it to a month! Today we woke up at 4:30 to do service.
People either love us or hate us. Most people tend to love us (when we
aren't knocking at their door). One guy yelled at us (while we were
cheering him on in his race) "Christ is my savior, not yours!" It was
funny. Interesting to see how God turns negatives into positives.
Afterwards multiple people came up and asked what that was all about.
We couldn't really teach them lessons because we were servicing, but
it let them see what we dealt with and they were much more open and
willing to talk to us and not be afraid.

Sunday:
Today wasn't as weird as last week. I feel more belonging now. We had
so,e more cancellations and dropped some more people as usual. But we
had so,e investigators come to church today which was great. One
brought a mentor from a church so we were scared. But she was super
cool, her name is Helen. She'd heard things about the church that
weren't true but we explained things to her and she was totally open
and engaged. She said we were the nicest people she's ever met and
asked for a Book of Mormon. I had some Haitian food tonight. First
authentic food I've had and it's soooo good. There was food meat, good
lettuce, good juice, good noodle stuff, good fried something and good
rice.


People are still bad at driving,

No comments:

Post a Comment